For some, a sweet breakfast is just not on the cards. Sugar in the morning just doesn’t appeal and a savory breakfast sounds far more appetizing.
Savory breakfasts often come in the form of omelets, burritos, BLTs, sausages, and bacon. Fortunately for all, you plant-based eaters out there, there are tons of OGP recipes that recreate all of those favorite savory breakfasts and make them perfect for vegan diets.
Some of these recipes are good honest breakfast grub whilst others might be just right for a fancy brunch or special weekend treat.
We also highly recommend downloading the Food Monster App — with over 20,000 delicious recipes, it is the largest plant-based recipe resource to help you get healthy!
1. Cheesy Tofu Scramble With Spinach
Source: Cheesy Tofu Scramble With Spinach
You never need to miss out with this hearty Cheesy Tofu Scramble With Spinach by Jennifer Valentine. This dish makes a great breakfast, brunch, or even a protein-packed dinner. The nutritional yeast is the key to the cheesy flavor while the medley of fresh veggies makes this a vitamin- and mineral-dense meal.
2. Grilled Asparagus and Smoked Tofu Benedict
Source: Grilled Asparagus and Smoked Tofu Benedict
Okay! Things got fancy pretty quickly here. Check out this recipe for Grilled Asparagus and Smoked Tofu Benedict by Rebekah Waters if you are looking for something a little special to serve to a loved one on a special occasion. Smooth and creamy vegan hollandaise sauce is poured over smoked tofu and perfectly grilled asparagus in this classic brunch dish.
3. Portobello Mushroom BLT Sandwich
Source: Portobello Mushroom BLT Sandwich
Here is a vegan version of a classic breakfast sandwich. This Portobello Mushroom BLT Sandwich by Michaell Johnson will fill you up and keep you going for your morning ahead. Take your favorite bread and fill it with flavorful ‘bacon’ made from portabello mushrooms, pair that with juicy tomatoes and crisp lettuce, and slather it all with whipped vegan mayo.
4. ‘Chicken’ and Waffles With Spicy Maple Syrup
Source: ‘Chicken’ and Waffles With Spicy Maple Syrup
Fair enough! There is a little of the sweet and savory in this recipe ‘Chicken’ and Waffles With Spicy Maple Syrup by Lauren Hartmann. This ultimate Southern-style comfort food breakfast is a real treat. The ‘chicken’ is made from chickpeas and is perfectly crispy atop a stack of vegan waffles. The spicy maple syrup adds that final sweet/salty flair.
5. Hash Brown Omelet
Source: Hash Brown Omelet
This Hash Brown Omelet by Melanie Sorrentino is a great hearty breakfast that will keep your fueled until lunch. Amazingly, it only takes five ingredients to make this feast of a breakfast. The ‘omelet’ part of the meal is actually made from shredded potato. The filling is made up of grilled mushrooms and a generous helping of fresh green spinach.
6. Perfect Breakfast Bagels with Tomato and Basil
Source: Perfect Breakfast Bagels with Tomato and Basil
The title of this recipe says it all. Try these Perfect Breakfast Bagels with Tomato and Basil by Emily von Euw if you want a hearty and healthy breakfast that you even grab and eat on the go. The key is a healthy serving of your favorite vegan cream cheese. Top that with the juiciest of tomatoes and a generous sprinkling of fresh herbs. There is something so clean and classic about these flavor combinations.
7. Breakfast Burritos
Source: Breakfast Burritos
Check out this recipe for Breakfast Burritos by Robin Browne. They are simple, filling, and super healthy. They are protein and flavor-packed and can easily be made gluten-free depending on the type of tortilla you use. Garlicky potatoes, cheezy tofu, avocado lime crema, and your favorite salsa are stuffed into these ultimate breakfast burritos.
8. Savory Chickpea Pancakes
Source: Savory Chickpea Pancakes
Pancakes don’t have to be slathered in maple syrup to make them delicious. Just because you prefer a savory breakfast doesn’t mean you can’t have a short or tall stack. These Savory Chickpea Pancakes by Harriet Porterfield make a fantastic breakfast or lunch. These pancakes are naturally gluten-free being made from chickpea flour, making them full of protein as a result.
9. Chickpea Flour Omelette With Spinach, Onion, and Bell Peppers
Source: Chickpea Flour Omelette With Spinach, Onion, and Bell Peppers
Here is another fantastic breakfast made from gluten-free chickpea flour. This time, it has been turned into this delicious Chickpea Flour Omelette With Spinach, Onion, and Bell Peppers by The One Green Planet Team. The omelet itself is packed with flavor from warm spices. Then it is filled with a rainbow of juicy veggies making this a hearty and healthful breakfast.
10. Breakfast Sandwich With Tempeh Bacon
Source: Breakfast Sandwich With Tempeh Bacon
Grab some English-style muffins and make yourself a Breakfast Sandwich With Tempeh Bacon by Brittany Mullins. Lightly toast your muffin then fill it with avocado, almond butter, sautéed kale, and tempeh bacon. These would make a great breakfast-to-go or a simple light lunch.
Learn How to Cook Plant-Based Meals at Home!
Source: Tofu Scramble
Reducing your meat intake and eating more plant-based foods is known to help with chronic inflammation, heart health, mental wellbeing, fitness goals, nutritional needs, allergies, gut health, and more! Dairy consumption also has been linked to many health problems, including acne, hormonal imbalance, cancer, prostate cancer, and has many side effects.
For those of you interested in eating more plant-based, we highly recommend downloading the Food Monster App — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest plant-based recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals, and get healthy! And, while you are at it, we encourage you to also learn about the environmental and health benefits of a plant-based diet.
Here are some great resources to get you started:
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!