Over the past year, prices at the grocery store have risen, as I’m sure you’ve noticed. Many Americans are struggling financially due to rising costs, at the grocery store and beyond. For example, the cost of eggs has increased, and quite dramatically. Good news, though: Just because certain items are more expensive at the moment doesn’t necessarily mean that you can’t enjoy your favorites; you just need to get creative and step outside your comfort zone a little!
For example, if you love to bake (and eat!) homemade baked goods, don’t let the cost of eggs get in your way! There are plenty of great egg-free recipes. In addition, if you’re accustomed to eating eggs for breakfast, maybe it’s time to switch things up. You may find a new recipe that you love, something you didn’t even know you were missing out on. All you need is an open mind, an eager palate and the willingness to do things a little differently.
Here is a quick and easy chocolate peanut butter overnight oats recipe. I love this breakfast-in-a-jar recipe for several reasons:
- You can throw it together the night before so there’s no need to make anything or even think about breakfast when you’re trying to rush out the door in the morning.
- You can even grab this breakfast to go!
- It’s healthy and wholesome.
- It’s customizable so you can make the perfect recipe for you.
- No pricey eggs!
When you look at the ingredients list, you might think this breakfast sounds a little like dessert, but it really is breakfast, and a healthy one, too! If you’re anything like me, you’ll enjoy customizing it to your tastes and starting your day with it. If you’re following a vegan diet, just use a non-dairy milk (I use almond milk). With a healthy breakfast like this, you’ll have the energy and nutrients needed to conquer your day, to move mountains and make a difference.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 0 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 tablespoon ground flax
- 3/4 cup milk, either dairy or non-dairy (I use almond milk)
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter or alternative (I use almond butter)
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 – 1/3 banana, sliced thin
- optional toppings: flaked coconut, chocolate chips, peanuts, sliced almonds, blueberries
Here’s how to make it:
- Combine oats, flax, milk and cocoa powder in a glass mason jar. Add the lid, secure it tightly and shake.
- Add honey and peanut butter. If desired, add optional toppings. Stir until well combined. Put lid back on and refrigerate for a minimum of 3 hours, and up to overnight.
- When you’re ready to eat your delicious breakfast, add sliced bananas on top of the oats mixture. You may add berries as well, if desired.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Recipe cooking times and servings are approximate. Need to convert cooking and baking measurements? Here are some kitchen conversion charts. Here’s how to submit your recipes to 30Seconds.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community, and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.